The European Center for Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Monuments is administered by a seven-member board appointed for a three-year term by the Ministry of Culture. By decision of the Ministry of Culture, up to five new members may be appointed as representatives of the European Union, the Council of Europe, or other international organizations, if these organizations are participating in the funding of EKBMM projects.
The objectives of the Centre include particularly:
- The organizing of training courses.
- The awarding of scholarships for scientific studies or the participation in scientific research projects
- The participation in national or international programmes of scientific research and technological development.
- The participation in scientific activities and missions of international organizations.
- The elaboration and publication of scientific studies and any other relevant scientific activities.
The action of EKBMM is directly connected with the cross-cultural collaboration and communication. The Centre collaborates with the UNESCO, the Council of Europe and other European and international organizations and institutions. During its decade course, it has developed action and programs of collaboration abroad, in the countries of the Balkan Peninsula (Serbia, Bulgaria, F.Y.R.O.M., Albania), the Middle East (Syria, Lebanon, Jordan), Caucasus (Georgia, Armenia), South Europe (Italy, Spain) and North Africa (Egypt). These actions were based on the conscious choice of approaching partners with terms of equivalence and respect of their identity, on theactive role of local human resources in the works developed in each country and in the culture of spirit of mutual apprehension and reliance. Through these collaborations, EKBMM has accomplished to forge powerful bonds and to create a network of partners that can ensure its constant presence in each collaborating country.
The departmental structure of EKBMM is as follows:
- Administration Department
- Office of the Secretary to the Administrative Board and Public Relations
- Administration and Finance Office
- Office for the Promotion of Scientific Research, Training and General Activities in the fields of:
- Museology - Museography
- Study of Byzantine and Post-Byzantine sites, immovable and movable monuments and artworks, and their excavation, restoration, conservation and enhancement.